NZ celebrity chef and TV presenter Al Brown says, “That’s nice oil!”
We have two artisan blends — Crescent Blend and Full Moon Blend.
The Crescent Blend is from early harvest Barnea and Manzanillo olives. It opens with green tea flavors and finishes with hints of artichoke and green banana. Unfiltered. Cold pressed. SOLD OUT
The Full Moon Blend is from a combination of early harvest and late harvest Frantoio and Leccino olives. It has green leafy flavors (from the early harvest oil), a lovely taste of ripe olives (from the late harvest oil) and a beautiful peppery finish (typical of Frantoio and Leccino oil). This is a ‘veiled oil’ which means it’s cloudy. Unfiltered. Cold pressed. 2012 harvest, expiry June 2014. Read about veiled oil over on Wikipedia.
You can purchase our artisan olive oil in our online shop. We ship overseas with standard international airmail, which takes 1 to 2 weeks. All prices are in New Zealand dollars.
You can also purchase our olive oil from:
- Moore Wilson’s – all locations
- Martinborough Wine Centre
- IN.GRE’DI.ENT – Martinborough
- Piccolo Food Store & Cafe – 41 Ruapehu St, Taupo
Food blogger feedback
- milliemirepoix says, “It’s fantastic!”
- Couscous & Consciousness says, “Gorgeous.”
- Something Else to Eat says, “One of the best goodies… I’ve been hoarding it for the right occasion.”
- Choice! NZ says, “Definitely worth tracking down a bottle and giving it a go.”
- Lydia Bakes says, “Some amazing olive oil.”
Our olive grove is situated near the banks of the Huangarua River just outside the charming wine village of Martinborough, in the cradle of the sunny Wairarapa valley.
The Martinborough micro-climate provides warm, dry days and cool, fresh nights. This gives our oil a beautiful richness and an intensity of flavor that will make you realize just why people over the centuries have been so passionate about ‘the good oil’.
We approach the grove with sustainability in mind, using a mostly organic spray routine and replacing chemicals with more environmentally friendly methods wherever possible. We are members of Olives New Zealand.
Olive oil production
Read blog stories about how the oil was made:
- 2011 harvest – Too many olives
- 2009 harvest – Olive harvest on a misty day
- Make your own olives in 23 easy steps
Or check out the Olives & olive oil category.
All of our olive oil work is done with a lot love and the help of our fantastic friends and neighbors.
Tips on using fresh oil
There are a million ways to use ‘Moon over Martinborough’ olive oil. Here are just a few:
- Drizzle on crisp green salads, or over a plate of fresh mozzarella and chopped tomato. Add cracked pepper and serve. You don’t need vinegar on your salad – it hides the taste of good, fresh oil.
- Cook greens such as spinach, silverbeet or cavalo nero. Place oil in a pan along with some fennel seed and chopped garlic. Cook for a minute or two, then toss in your greens and cook until slightly wilted but still crisp.
- Pour over steamed asparagus or broccoli.
- In a shallow bowl, place a wheel of fresh goat cheese. Smother it with chopped garlic, rosemary, and olive oil. Serve with French bread or ciabatta.
- Slather generously over your pork roast before cooking, along with rock salt.
Leave a review
Have you tasted our oil? Please tell us what you think in a comment below. We love to hear from you.